Darsham Church

Darsham Church

Darsham Church

The Church of All Saints

The Street, Darsham, Saxmundham, Suffolk IP17 3QA
» View on map

All Saints church at Darsham was built by the Normans early in the 12th century. Much of the original building has been lost in alterations and renovations, but the north and south doorways (the former having been blocked) retain early 12th century work, dating from perhaps c1120.
A priest’s doorway was cut through the south chancel wall in the 13th century.
The square tower with 4 stages and crenellated parapet was added in the 15th century. Fenestration changes were also made at that time, and the nave roof was raised. The south porch was rebuilt in 1887 at the time of the second Victorian restoration.

 

The first photograph in the gallery below is a view along the nave towards the altar and east window.

 

 Further reading:
The Guide to Suffolk Churches
 
English Thatched Churches