Frostenden Church

Frostenden Church

Frostenden Church

The Church of All Saints

Church Lane, Frostenden, Suffolk NR34 7HS
» View on map

The Parish Church of All Saints was built in the 13th century, but the round tower, with crenellated parapet, is earlier, either Norman or perhaps even Saxon. The lancet windows in the tower are later additions.
The main body of the church consists of  nave, chancel, and 15th century south aisle. The porch is an extension of the south aisle, under a lean-to roof. The main plain-tiled roof is of one construction spanning the nave and chancel. There is no chancel arch.
The south entrance doorway has a 4 centred arch and above it is a fine 18th century sundial.

 

Unusually for a church in this area of Suffolk, All Saints is normally locked, but is usually open on a Saturday morning. Alternatively, a prior arrangement can be made for a visit by contacting one of the churchwardens (currently Mr Paul Scriven MBE, and Mrs Jane Foreman).
Unfortunately on the day of our visit we were unable to view the church interior, hence a lack of photographs in the gallery below. However you can see internal photographs on Simon Knott’s excellent site ( www.suffolkchurches.co.uk ), or on the Pictures of England site (photographs of Frostenden by Peggy Cannell).

Features to look for include: The vaulted porch roof; piscinae in the chancel and south aisle; 15th century carved octagonal font and cover; 15th century poppyhead bench ends; some fine 19th century stained glass; wall monuments to Sir William Glover d.1660, William Glover d.1726 and Thomas Pretyman, rector d.1756; 18th century ledger slabs in chancel floor.

 

The photographs below are of All Saints from the south-west, and the colourful sundial over the south doorway. The Latin inscription on the sundial, ‘vigilate et orate’ means ‘watch and pray’

 

 Further reading:
The Guide to Suffolk Churches
 
English Thatched Churches

Suffolk Churches