The Church of St Peter & St Paul
Mottistone, Isle of Wight, PO30 4ED
» View on Map
The first photograph in the gallery below shows the nave and chancel. The 15th century chancel arch is built on 12th century foundations, and the central column of the north arcade also has a 12th century base. One of the chancel tie beams bears the date 1628, indicating that the chancel was re-roofed at that time. The chancel roof was boarded internally in the 19th century using timbers salvaged from the wreck of the ‘Cedrine’, a convict ship that went aground off the Isle of Wight coast in April, 1862. The story of the wreck is related in an exhibition area in the church.
The second photograph is of the font, originally 12th century but restored in the 19th century. Next shown is the oak Jacobean pulpit carved with a triple floral design at the top, over a larger circular motif in the middle, and a diamond shape at the bottom.
The fourth photograph is of the Dillington tomb. Set under the arch between the Cheke chapel and the chancel, it is a memorial to Jane Dillington (d.1674), who held the Mottistone estate from 1621 after it was purchased from the Cheke family.
The next picture shows a 2-light window in the south aisle with stained glass depicting St Peter and St Paul, to whom the church is dedicated.
Finally shown is the church seen from the south, with 19th century gabled south porch, now enclosing a 15th century holy water stoup. Far left in the photograph is the low 15th century tower with crenelated parapet and recessed shingled spire.