Church of St Mary
Off B2089, Udimore, East Sussex TN31 6BB
» View on Map
c1200, a south aisle was added, but this was later removed leaving the blocked three arch arcade.
Unusually, the chancel is a little wider than the nave. Its build date is confirmed by the three stepped east lancet windows withconcentric rere-arches, and by the chancelarch, which has a pointed head of two orders, the inner one being supported on corbels with typical dogtooth mouldings.
The tower arch, has a double chamfered head and semi-octagonal responds, the north one having alternating light and dark stones.
There are two fonts at St Mary’s. The main one, in front of the tower arch, dates from 1898. Of greater historical interest is a wooden font dating from the 18th century. It has been plastered to disguise the fact that it was made from wood, the use of which, for fonts, was banned after the Reformation.
In the 19th century a porch was added, built onto the centre of the three former south aisle arcade arches. It incorporates a 15th century door.
Above the porch door is a small lancet window (third photograph in the gallery) with lovely stained glass, dated 1905, depicting the Madonna and Child. The inscription below reads ‘to the Glory of God and in memory of a short vicar late 1897 – 1905’.