Church of St Mary
High Street, Westham, Pevensey, East Sussex BN24 5LL
» View on Map
A north porch of striking flint and stone chequerwork was added in the late 15th century, and can be seen in the first gallery picture below. The west section of the north aisle under a hipped roof is now used for toilets and a kitchen.
The first photograph in the gallery above shows the bottom section of the original rood stairs, now shut off with a metal gate, the rather impressive 20th century rood loft, and just above the left-hand end of the loft, the top end of the loft stairs.
The next picture is of three 11th century windows high in the south wall of the nave. They sit just above an external string course, suggesting that there was once a lean-to building or cloister below the windows. The westernmost of the three windows has stained glass depicting The Baptism. The third photograph is also of the south nave wall, taken from the north-west staircase, through a north arcade arch. A 14th/15th century square headed window is far left in the picture. It has stained glass depicting St George and St Hubert, and dates from 1919.
The fourth picture is of the octagonal font which probably dates from the 15th century. It has trefoil headed arcading to the bowl and to the stem. Next shown is a 13th century piscina in the Priesthawes Chapel. It has a double trefoil head.