The Church of All Saints
Church Lane, Witley, Surrey, GU8 5PN
» View on Map
Shown above is All Saints from the south-west. The small window at the top of the west gable is Saxon.
The first picture in the gallery above shows a partly blocked double splayed Saxon window in the south wall of the nave, with wall painting over. The wall paintings at Witley are true frescoes, (a technique of mural painting executed on freshly laid lime plaster) dating from the early 12th century, perhaps 1130.
The second photograph shows the main section of murals on the nave wall, which are painted in three horizontal bands. The uppermost register contains scenes from the Life of the Virgin, and, above the doorway, the feast of Dives (the rich man in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus). The middle band is of resurrection scenes, and the Harrowing of Hell.
The lower register is of Christ appearing to St Peter at Lake Tiberias, and a 13th century consecration cross.
The third picture is of a further mural discovered on the north arcade return during restoration work in the late 20th century.
Next is a photograph of the piscina in the chancel which dates to c1350 and has an aumbry over.
Next shown is a brass which is in the Easter sepulchre. It is to Thomas Jones, Jane his wife and their six children. The inscription tells us that Thomas was one of the Servers of the Chamber of our sovereign lord King Henry VIII.