Church of St Mary the Virgin
The Drove, Fordwich, Kent CT2 0DB
» View on Map
The main photograph above shows the church of St Mary the Virgin from the south east. The lancet window in the south wall of the chancel is contemporary with the construction of the chancel extension in the 13th century, whilst the larger two light window was inserted in the 15th century.
probably late 14th century. The box pews were installed in the 18th century, and the floor was tiled at the same time.
The most famous item at the Church of St Mary the Virgin is the Fordwich Stone, shown in the gallery picture 1. Sometimes referred to as the Augustine Stone because it is thought that it could be the cover of the tomb of St Augustine of Canterbury. However, the 1.7m long carved limestone slab has been dated to early Norman times, c1100, and St Augustine died in AD 604, so if it is associated with the saint it could perhaps be that his body was re-interred after the Conquest. The Stone was taken from St Mary’s to Canterbury Cathedral in 1760, but returned to the church in 1877.
The second photograph is of one of two early 14th century two light windows in the north aisle. There are three others in the south wall of the nave. This one has medieval glass in the top quatrefoils, depicting, on the left, the Virgin and Child, and on the right, the Coronation of the Virgin.
The next photographs are of a Holy water stoop in nave south wall, to the right of the door, and an alms box in the central aisle inscribed 1953 and ER, to commemorate the coronation.