Church of St Mary the Virgin
Un-named lane, off Tamley Lane, Hastingleigh, Kent TN25 5HU
» View on Map
Second, nearer the chancel on the same wall, is a blocked recess with early Norman arched head. Between these two there is a high level deeply splayed Norman window.
Below, first photograph in the gallery, is the very fine carved oak rood screen, which is 15th century, restored in 1879. It now carries a new Holy Rood, recently installed to replace the one removed at the reformation.
Next, is a two light south chancel window featuring 16th century glass. On the left are the Arms of the Poynings family, who held the church advowson from the 14th to 16th centuries. On the right are the Arms of St Thomas’s Hospital, London. The hospital was granted the Manor of Hastingleigh by Edward VI in 1553, after which it held the Manor for nearly 400 years until the early 20th century.
The font, which stands near to the two bay south arcade, is Victorian but has the medieval lead lining from the ancient font. Also showing in the photograph is the east end of the south aisle which formed a Lady Chapel. There is a 13th century piscina in the south wall.
The second picture shows a brass in the nave floor which is a memorial to one John Halke, a churchwarden in the 16th century. John’s grandson William Harvey M.D., 1578 – 1657 was the first person to detail the systemic circulation and properties of blood.